Daily Archives: March 7, 2016

Acetaminophen Toxicity In Dogs And Cats

Acetaminophen Toxicity In Dogs And Cats

Do you know that over-the-counter pain relievers that contain the active ingredient acetaminophen can be toxic to your pet? Most cases of acetaminophen toxicity often result from pets receiving toxic amounts. Some pets can accidentally take in acetaminophen tablets that are just left lying around. Cats are much more sensitive to this drug compared to dogs that even one regular strength tablet can have fatal consequences.

Acetaminophen poisoning often causes permanent damage to the liver, with fatal consequences. The most common symptoms include:

Vomiting

Brownish-gray gums, tongue and/or mucus membranes

Breathing problems

Jaundice

Reduced body temperature

Swollen upper body (face, limbs and/or neck)

Seizures

Coma

If you think that your pet cat or dog has consumed acetaminophen, veterinary attention should be sought immediately. Better prognosis can result from immediate and intensive treatment. Your veterinary clinic Montgomery TX may have your pet hospitalized for supportive treatment and to keep a close eye on the effects, especially potential damage to the liver.

Advertisements

Ivermectin Toxicity In Dogs

Ivermectin Toxicity In Dogs

Ivermectin is the most common medication used to kill various species of internal and external parasites. It is the drug of choice in many monthly heartworm preventive programs. It is also indicated for ear mites and hair mites, which have been linked to cases of mange. Administering an excessive dose (about 10-20 times the recommended dose) of ivermectin can lead to toxicity. Also there are certain breeds of dogs that are hypertensive to ivermectin. These breeds include the Collie, Australian shepherd, Old English sheepdog, longhaired whippet, Shetland sheepdog, and Australian shepherd. Dogs of mixed breeds are also sensitive to ivermectin. The reaction occurs when ivermectin is able to reach the brain, and causing toxicity. Dogs or puppies that have experienced over dosage of similar drug preparations in the past also have higher sensitivity to ivermectin.

The sensitivity of these breeds is attributed to the mutation of a mutant gene (MDR1). This is also the same gene that may make a dog more sensitive to other specific medications as well. Fortunately, not all genetically predisposed dogs carry the mutant gene.

Don’t hesitate to ask your Montgomery, TX vet regarding important pet issues. You can visit us to get complete information about Ivermectin toxicity in dogs.

Chocolate and Labradoodles

Did you know that chocolate is a dangerous food for most dogs including Labradoodles? It’s important to make sure all chocolate products are kept out of reach from your canine companions. If your Labradoodle does eat chocolate, call your vet right away. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include extreme thirst, diarrhea, unusual amounts of energy, pacing, shaking, or seizures. Do not wait for symptoms to appear as they may take six to twelve hours to develop. Be prepared to tell your vet your dog’s breed, weight, and the amount of chocolate he may have eaten. Small amounts of chocolate may not affect your Labradoodle the way it would a Pomeranian. In less extreme cases, your vet may tell you to make your dog vomit by giving him one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide for every twenty pounds he weighs. Never wait to call the vet Clive, IA when chocolate is involved. Always call right away!

Chocolate and Labradoodles