You’re likely to have bubblegum in your house, especially if you have kids at home. If you don’t have bubblegum, you probably at least have some chewing gum to keep your breath minty fresh. If your dog gets ahold of some gum, should you be worried?
Unfortunately, there is definitely cause for concern if your dog has eaten any kind of gum. That’s because it contains an ingredient called xylitol, which is extremely poisonous to dogs. It only takes 3 grams of the stuff to kill a 65 pound dog.
Because different manufacturers use different amounts of xylitol, it can be difficult to determine just how dangerous the situation is. If your dog vomits, is uncoordinated or lethargic after consuming any amount of gum, or if you have a particularly small breed, you can visit us to get more information about dog care.